CHRIST WILL COME AGAIN
TEXT: Acts 1:6-11
Why do people always want to calculate the coming of Christ and align it to global events?
- Christ ascended from earth to heaven.
- Christ will return from heaven to earth.
Jesus spoke frequently not only about His death and resurrection but also His return.
HOW WILL JESUS CHRIST RETURN?
“This same Jesus” – it is a very important phrase which could also mean “this very Jesus.”
- When Jesus comes back, it will not be another individual, it will be the same Jesus.
- Jesus will not come in another form – not spirit or angel etc.
“Will come back in like manner as He ascended”
The way He comes will be similar to the way He ascended- Luke 21:27; Revelation 1:7
- He ascended bodily and will return bodily
- He ascended visibly and will return visibly – the book of Revelation says all eyes shall see Him. It will be a global phenomenon. All across the world, people will see Jesus come.
- He ascended in a cloud and will return in a cloud
- He ascended in power and glory and will return in power and glory. He will not come like a weak infant pursued by Herod.
WHAT MUST BE OUR ATTITUDE?
The Angels asking the men of Galilee why they are looking into heaven suggests that we must not be fixated on calculating how and when Jesus will come and engaging in all kinds of theories.
“Do business till I come” – Be occupied, or be involved in doing something.
The Christian life is about being pragmatic and practical and not indulging in theories.
WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING TILL HE COMES?
- We must preach the gospel till He comes – we must be ethical, we must be practical and we must preach the gospel in a language the world and generation understand. On the day of Pentecost all the people present heard the gospel in their own language. We must do same today. If people can hear the gospel using technology, we must employ technology in preaching the gospel.
- We must prepare as the bride of Christ to meet the Lord when He comes – by the time He comes, we must be ready. In the parable of the ten virgins, five of them were not ready when the bridegroom came. We must teach people truth and doctrine. Prepare people to learn how to know God and serve Him. The Church must be elevated and strong in these times.
- We must persevere in the face of persecution- we must be steadfast in our faith and know how to defend our faith. Our world is becoming more anti-Christian. A lot more institutions are anti-Christian and they trivialise and mock the Church in the media, science, academia etc. and we must learn to preserve and defend the faith. – Hebrews 10:23-25.
Source: ICGC Christ Temple